CMS Asks You to Guard Your Card
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2019 1:41 PM
CMS is asking Medicare beneficiaries to be vigilant with their new cards and reminding them to take precautions to avoid falling victims of healthcare fraud. “Health care scammers will go to great lengths to steal from Medicare beneficiaries. That’s why guarding your Medicare card and personal information is essential,” said CMS Administrator Seema Verma. “You can protect yourself by knowing what to look for. Remember, if a caller says they’re from Medicare and asks for your Medicare number or other personal information – hang up. It’s probably a scam. Only give your Medicare number to participating Medicare pharmacists, primary and specialty care doctors or people you trust to work with Medicare on your behalf.”
CMS has offered the following tips to avoid fraudsters:
- Never accept medical supplies from a door-to-door salesman. If someone comes to your door claiming to be from Medicare, remember that Medicare and Medicaid do not send representatives to your home.
- Never give your Medicare card, Medicare number, Social Security card, or Social Security number to anyone except your doctor or people you know should have it.
- Remember, nothing is ever "free." Never accept offers of money or gifts for free medical care.
- Be wary of providers who tell you that the item or service isn't usually covered, but they "know how to bill Medicare" so Medicare will pay.
- Always check your medications before leaving the pharmacy to be sure you received the correct medication prescribed, including whether it's a brand or generic name. If you don’t get your prescription filled correctly, report the problem to the pharmacist.
As always, if you are the victim of fraud, please contact the Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General or Medicare’s customer service.
Corridor is the nation’s preferred partner and trusted business advisor to home health and hospice providers, providing quality services and impactful results for 30 years. Focusing on key operational, regulatory and financial challenges, Corridor delivering industry-unique solutions and deep expertise in coding, clinical documentation review, compliance, billing and collections , consulting and provider staff education . At Corridor, we make the business of caring for people Better! For the most important industry updates and news that impacts home health and hospice, please make sure to sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the latest up-to-date industry information direct to your inbox!
For additional information, please contact Corridor at 1-866-263-3795.Go Back