CMS Education on Electronic Medicare Cost Submission Report
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2018 12:15 PM
In early May, CMS held a webcast to demonstrate use of the new Medicare Cost Report e-Filing System (MCReF), which became an option for electronically submitting the cost report package. Effective July 2, 2018, MCReF will be the ONLY means by which providers may electronically submit their Medicare cost report, although providers retain the right to submit cost report packages via mail or hand delivery.
For more detailed information, please access the following materials:
With this system, CMS is trying to standardize, automate and streamline the cost reporting processes for provider submission and Medicare Administrative Contractor receipt, acceptance and subsequent handling.
The new system has some advantages, namely:
- A single secure submission portal (https://mcref.cms.gov) and uniform process for all Part A providers
- Effective for cost report years ending on or after 12/31/2017
- The ability to submit the entire cost report package (including electronic signature) at one time provided the supporting documentation is a maximum size of 300 MB
- Immediate response indicating whether your cost report has been accepted into the system
- Accessibility to Enterprise Identity Management (EIDM) System PS&R security officials (SO) and backup security officials (BSO). CMS has also created a new category of individuals that will have access for submission – the MCReF-authorized cost report filer. Authority to file a cost report on behalf of an organization would be delegated by either the SO or the BSO.
- Retain the option to mail your cost report if you have lost access to the EIDM system for some reason (for example, if an organization has failed to keep its account up to date)
Providers are strongly encouraged to review the training materials and other information that CMS has posted regarding the changes to the system to ensure that they are taking advantage of this new option if deemed appropriate.
Source: NAHC Report
Corridor is a trusted home health and hospice consulting partner to agencies both large and small. We provide the most up-to-date comprehensive homecare industry educational resources and consulting available.
For the most important industry updates and news that impacts home health and hospice, please make sure to sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the latest up-to-date industry information direct to your inbox!
For additional information, please contact Corridor at 1-866-263-3795Go Back