Independence at Home is Saving Big Bucks
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2018 1:43 PM
The Independence at Home (IAH) initiative has saved thousands of dollars per Medicare beneficiary and could save as much a $28 billion if enough people are reached.
According to an analysis released earlier this year in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, it is saving $2,700 per beneficiary per year in each of its first two years. IAH is one of the most successful initiatives by CMS.
“NAHC is a strong supporter of the IAH project and of the Independence at Home Act (S.464), bipartisan legislation which would expand the highly successful independence at home (IAH) demonstration project. IAH works because:
- It is designed to provide appropriate levels of care for a carefully targeted group of the most complex, high-cost beneficiaries;
- It requires an interdisciplinary team to provide access to care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and to offer in-home visits within 48 hours of hospital or emergency room discharge, including medication reconciliation;
- It prevents unnecessary hospitalizations and misuse of medications and discourages overuse of services with shared savings incentives;
- It has rigorous quality standards that assure better patient and family experience and high quality of clinical outcomes;
- It is backed by a substantial body of evidence showing that Home-Based Primary Care (HBPC), as applied in the IAH demonstration, enhances quality of care and reduces cost for seriously ill elderly Americans; and
- As demonstrated above, it saves Medicare a lot of money.”
Source: NAHC Report
Corridor is the nation’s preferred partner and trusted business advisor to home health and hospice providers, providing quality services and impactful results for 30 years. Focusing on key operational, regulatory and financial challenges, Corridor delivering industry-unique solutions and deep expertise in coding, clinical documentation review, compliance, billing and collections , consulting and provider staff education . At Corridor, we make the business of caring for people Better! For the most important industry updates and news that impacts home health and hospice, please make sure to sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive the latest up-to-date industry information direct to your inbox!
For additional information, please contact Corridor at 1-866-263-3795.Go Back